Limited Funds Baby Shower
We are planning a baby shower for our friend who's
having her first baby, and she's 16. However, the rest of us are also around 16 or 15 years old. What would be good ideas to raise money for the party and/or gifts for the mom? We were thinking of everyone going to a restaurant and everyone pays their own food, then they come to our house for the party, etc.
Thank you :)
Thanks for your question. Given the ages of your guests, perhaps a restaurant is not the best place for the baby shower. The hostess is generally responsible for providing food for the guests. At a baby shower, the guests bring gifts for the mom to be and the hostess's gift is the baby shower, so that is why the hostess is responsible for all expenses of the shower.
Asking the guests to cover the meal and gift is generally considered a "no no" for etiquette rules.
If you are low on funds here are some tips:
1. The cheapest place to hold a baby shower is at a house. This way you do not have to worry about rental fees, meal prices and gratuities.
2. Hold the baby shower during a time that is not close to meal times. This way you can provide just appetizers and punch.
3. A few balloons and some crepe paper go a long way in decorating.
4. A dozen roses make a nice centerpiece and can also be used as prizes throughout the night. 1 rose for every prize winner.
5. Funds are generally low at this age for gifts. If you would like to see if your friends would like to contribute to a group gift, you will have more success asking in person than putting it on the invitation. (Always keep it as an option and not something that is required.)
6. Use as many free games and ideas as possible. We have lots of great games and ideas on the site and they are all free.
7. If you would like to have favors, use something simple and homemade to save on money.
I hope that helps! Good Luck with the baby shower!
Return to Baby Shower Etiquette Questions
Return to Baby Shower Etiquette
Return To Baby Shower Ideas Home